The Dallas Media Collaborative is searching for a part-time Project Manager to coordinate and lead its efforts toward a connected, city-wide solutions journalism network. Over the course of a year, the Dallas Media Collaborative partners will combine resources to explore issues and solutions to an identified community problem.
The Project Manager is expected to provide leadership for the partner organizations in their work to report, edit and publish news coverage about the finalized topic of community interest. You will be responsible for cultivating relationships both internally, between collaboration partners, and externally, with the community and supporters. Both problem solving and proactive problem avoidance are critical, with a focus on clear and timely communication, both virtually and in-person. You will work closely with editors, journalists, professors, students and data scientists to help form the narrative arc of the collaborative’s focus topic.
What You’ll Do
- Act as point of contact for all collaborative communications with the national Solutions Journalism Network team
- Develop and execute strategies to enhance concerted reporting, and other acts of journalism, across the collaborative
- Track story pitches and ensure the necessary people and resources are available
- Manage digital content across website, email, social media and text platforms, as well an encourage cross-newsroom distribution
- Schedule and manage meetings with collaborative partners
- Coordinate any future events, working closely with community organizations
- Manage the collaborative’s current budget and financial reporting
- Track and develop future funding opportunities
Who You Are
- You thrive in an energetic and people-focused environment
- You are committed to the health of the Dallas journalism ecosystem
- It’s preferred that you have a deep newsroom and field-reporting experience
- You are confident both behind-the-scenes and speaking publicly
- You are proactive, generating new ideas and pathways for execution
- You are a creative thinker and value listening to diverse audiences
- You are organized and efficient
- You are comfortable in AP style and Google Suite
- You understand the current challenges of newsrooms and community trust
- Fluency in both English and Spanish is strongly preferred
This position is part-time, estimated at 25 hours per week, with some events during evening and weekend hours. The successful candidate must reside in Dallas or the immediate surrounding area.
The Dallas Media Collaborative is currently working remotely, but when it is safe to do so, the Project Manager will be working from a dedicated office and also traveling throughout the city for meetings and events. The annual salary for this position is $30,000-$40,000, commensurate with experience. This position is a one-year contract position without benefits. Consideration for an extension will occur based on the viability of the project. The ideal candidate will start when the collaborative launches, likely mid- to late May 2021.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please submit your cover letter and resume via this link: https://forms.gle/byphUEveZDkASHja9
About the Dallas Media Collaborative
The Dallas Media Collaborative will launch with coordinated Dallas-wide and county-wide coverage of various aspects of affordable housing, including a lack of housing, with a commitment to using a solutions-focused approach. With nine media outlets, five colleges and universities, a library, a data think tank, a racial equity firm and a choral ensemble, and with guidance from the Solutions Journalism Network, the Collaborative will equip news sites, magazines, radio and student journalists to do together what each can’t do alone because of budget constraints and massive changes in how the news industry is funded. Our Collaborative will let us all keep our promise to fully inform citizens and encourage civil discourse that leads to civic engagement, ultimately holding the government accountable for its role in supporting solutions.