Dallas Free Press is seeking an adept communicator who is highly organized to build strong relationships with potential major donors, funders and corporate sponsors. This role will financially support Dallas Free Press’ efforts to serve the people of West Dallas and South Dallas. This is a new position, open to candidates without direct development or journalism experience who bring transferable skills, an interest in fundraising and a passion for Dallas Free Press’ mission.
Your work will be part of groundbreaking efforts on the part of a new Dallas news nonprofit that collaborates with other local media to tackle complex civic issues and systemic inequities. South Dallas is predominantly Black, and West Dallas is predominantly Latinx with many residents whose native language is Spanish. We’re seeking applicants who reflect the culture, diversity and experiences of these neighborhoods.
Please read the full job description and apply here.
Who you are
- You pay close attention to details.
- You enjoy research and compiling information.
- You appreciate data and are comfortable creating systems to track it.
- You map out projects from start to finish and can juggle and prioritize between several at a time.
- You can work independently but appreciate collaboration.
- You are personable and value interactions with people.
- You rise to meet challenges and take ownership of your work.
- You can navigate digital technology and financial documents.
- You respect transparency and journalistic ethics.
- You are creative, innovative and resourceful in your work, and reliable to meet deadlines.
We want to hear from everyone who fits this description. Special consideration will be given to applicants who have worked closely with neighbors in South Dallas and West Dallas.
Why work with us?
- This is our first position dedicated to fundraising and revenue, and you’ll have lots of room to experiment and innovate.
- Dallas Free Press is connected with newsrooms all over the country that are exploring the future of journalism, so your work will be on the cutting edge.
- Our neighbors and our supporters are some of the best people in the world. Working for and with them is energizing and fulfilling.
- You’ll be building new systems and structures, but you won’t have to start from scratch! We have some terrific donors and funders already, a talented local development consultant who has positioned us well, and support from national news revenue experts.
The Dallas Free Press development manager will participate in the LION-Facebook Revenue Growth Fellowship, a program run by LION Publishers, which is an association for independent news publishers, and funded by the Facebook Journalism Project. Our newsroom has been selected as part of an inaugural cohort of fellows who will receive training and coaching in a revenue-generating role, and the opportunity to learn from other fellows in the cohort.
What you’ll do
- Identify potential donors, funders and sponsors, and take time to build strong relationships
- Launch and implement a sponsorship program
- Design systems to track financial progress and impact metrics
- Tell the story of our work, both verbally and in writing
- Represent Dallas Free Press in the philanthropic community
- Search for untapped revenue opportunities
The development manager is a full-time position with an annual salary of $60,000 to $70,000, depending on experience. The revenue growth fellowship spans two years (2022 and 2023), and our hope is to extend and potentially expand this position after the two-year fellowship. The position requires living in or relocating to Dallas, with most work taking place throughout the city. The development manager would need to start soon after the first of the year.
To apply for this position, please submit your résumé and work samples via this link. Initial review of applicants will be the week of Nov. 29, so we strongly encourage submitting your application by midnight on Sunday, Nov. 28. Our goal is for the development manager to start soon after the first of the year.
(Applications for this position will not be accepted via email, and we will be unable to respond to applicants until after Nov. 28.)